So, thoughts on “The Name of the Doctor” (spoilers, Sweetie….)
1. I am NOT okay with the story for River in this. It feels too much like Moffat getting rid of her to make way for a Clara/Eleven pairing.
2. I loved Jenny, Vastra, and Strax. They need a spin-off.
3. I was disappointed by the Clara reveal. She ended up being a character that revolved too much around the Doctor without a personality of her own. The echoes were, sadly, more interesting than the actual Clara. I had hoped with all the flashbacks to her mother/parents, it would be tied into Classic Who better (a connection to Susan or something?).
4. John Hurt looks to be interesting, and I like the theories so far about his character being either the Valeyard (Classic Who tie-in!) or the version who did the Time War. Either way will be great.
5. Clara running into all the past versions (yes ALL, thank you tumblr for showing she even runs into Eight) was probably my favorite part of the ep. Cute outfits, too.
6. Clara was NOT “born to save the Doctor” as she said. She just jumped into his time stream. It doesn’t make sense.
7. The Whispermen were awesomely creepy and underused. This whole ep could have been split into a two parter so it didn’t feel as rushed.
8. So glad that Clara had nothing to do with Rose, like all the theories out there said.
9. Jenny’s “death” & River “vanishing” caused more feels than anything with Clara or the Doctor.
10. I’m sure I’ll think of more later. All in all, not a terrible ep, but the latter half of this season (post Ponds) has been disappointing. Jenna is adorable, yes, but she wasn’t given much to work with and there wasn’t an emotional connection to her as a character. Hoping the 50th with Tennant (ugh I hate Rose, sorry to you Rose lovers out there but I wish she’d stay away) will be better. Especially now that the “mystery” of Clara is over — perhaps she can just be a normal companion now. Also…. TENNANT. And John Hurt. :)